Spicy harissa chicken is the perfect 30 minute meal. Pair it with rice and sumac onions for a delicious way to spice up your weeknight dinners.
Harissa Chicken Thighs
I’m so excited to share my first ever chicken recipe to the blog! I’ve been pescatarian for nearly 8-9 years, and recently started incorporating chicken, and occasionally red meat, back into my diet.
For those who have been following me on Instagram, I’ve been teasing this harissa chicken for a few months, so I’m excited to finally be sharing it!
The chicken thighs are seasoned with a blend of harissa paste, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper then cooked with sliced onions and some date syrup for a delicious combination of spicy and sweet.
If you’ve been following my recipes, you know I love using harissa in my marinades. Harissa is a Tunisian hot chili pepper paste that can be used for so many dishes. You can buy a mild or spicy variety depending on where you shop, and use it in marinades for your fish, tofu or even vegetables.
The sweet and spicy sauce pairs so well with chicken thighs or breast. I love serving it over a bed of rice with my sumac onions.
What you’ll need to make harissa chicken thighs
- Boneles chicken thighs fillet, about 4-6 pieces
- Spices- paprika, cumin, salt & pepper
- Harissa– choose milld or spicy, depending on your preference
- Date syrup, for a little sweetness
- Sliced onions
- Olive oil
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Start by cutting up your chicken into pieces, then adding it to a bowl with the sliced onions
- Marinate the chicken and onions in harissa and season with paprika, cumin, salt & pepper. You can let this marinate until ready to cook, or cook right away
- Heat a skillet with olive oil, then cook the chicken for about 8-10 minutes
- Add in some more harissa, date syrup and some water to create a sauce and finish cooking for about 5 more minutes
- Garnish with parsley and serve over rice with your favorite sides
This recipe is truly so simple to make, and a delicious way to elevate your weeknight dinners. I can’t wait for you all to try it!