Warm farro with balsamic mushrooms and zucchini is a nourishing, 30-minutes side dish to make for dinner this week.
Farro with Balsamic Mushrooms & Zucchini
This delicious warm farro dish with sauteed mushrooms and zucchini packs in so much flavor and comes together in just 30 minutes. Hearty farro, balsamic mushrooms and zucchini, grated parmesan and a simple balsamic dressing are tossed together to create a simple yet flavorful side dish.
Packed with fiber, whole-grains, and nourishing flavors, it’s the perfect combination of nutritious and delicious. Serve it with my walnut & pistachio salmon for a well-rounded dinner this week!
Farro is a nutrient-rich ancient whole-grain that’s most similar to barley. It’ a good source of fiber, protein and antioxidants, and makes for the perfect salad grain because of its chewy texture. It has almost a nutty taste, and is a delicious nutritious grain to add into your carb rotation.
To prepare farro, boil it in water for roughly 15-20 minutes, then drain any excess liquid. Use it in place of other grains like rice or quinoa, or toss it onto a hearty salad.
What you’ll need to make this warm farro with balsamic mushrooms
- Farro– farro comes as pearled, semi-pearled and and whole variety. I used pearled farro for this recipe, which is more commonly found in stores, and cooks much quicker than the other varieties
- Mushrooms – I used pre-sliced baby bella mushrooms
- Zucchini– I love adding zucchini to this dish, but you can add any vegetable you prefer
- Grated parmesan– for added flavor and saltiness
- Simple balsamic dressing– lightly sweetened with maple syrup and perfectly balances all of the flavors
This simple recipe is so delicious as is, but you can jazz it up with some nuts, seeds, and greens when ready to serve. It can be served warm or at room temperature, and can even be prepared ahead of time for an easy, weekday meal prep.
I love a good nourishing side dish and this farro wit balsamic mushrooms hits the spot! I can’t wait for you guys to try it. Be sure to tag me on Instagram if you do.