Farro and beet salad topped with feta cheese, nuts, seeds and a mint vinaigrette. A nourishing and flavorful dish to make for weeknight dinner or holiday gatherings!
Farro and Beet Salad with Mint Vinaigrette
This delicious beet and farro salad is loaded with so many good flavors. Hearty farro, roasted beets, savory feta cheese and crunchy nuts & seeds get layered together with a zesty mint vinaigrette. Packed with fiber, whole-grains, and nourishing flavors, it’s the perfect combination of nutritious and delicious.
This recipe is the perfect meal prep to serve alongside an easy protein like my slow-roasted lemon dill salmon, but it’s also a beautiful side dish to serve at a holiday meal.
What is farro?
Farro is a nutrient-rich ancient whole-grain that’s most similar to barley. It’ a good source of fiber, protein and antioxidants, and makes for the perfect salad grain because of its chewy texture. It has almost a nutty taste, and is a delicious nutritious grain to add into your carb rotation.
To prepare farro, boil it in water for roughly 15-20 minutes, then drain any excess liquid. Use it in place of other grains like rice or quinoa, or toss it onto a hearty salad.
What you’ll need to make this farro beet salad
- Farro– farro comes as pearled, semi-pearled and and whole variety. I used pearled farro for this recipe, which is more commonly found in stores, and cooks much quicker than the other varieties
- Beets– both red and golden beets get roasted in some olive oil, salt & pepper. I love the color contrast of both colored beets, but using one variety would work as well!
- Feta cheese– a non-negotiable for me for added saltiness
- Pistachios and pumpkin seeds- for extra fat and crunch
- Microgreens- to garnish
- Homemade mint vinaigrette– the mint vinaigrette is fresh and zesty. It’s lightly sweetened with honey with a dijon kick, and perfectly balances all of the flavors.
This dish is perfect for the holiday season, but easy enough for a work week lunch. Serve it cold or at room temperature for ideal taste.
How to serve your farro salad
When serving to a crowd, I love leaving the ingredients layered on top of each other to show their true beauty. After all, we eat with our eyes first.
- Transfer the farro onto your serving platter or bowl and toss it together with half the dressing. The farro with absorb the flavor of the dressing but still hold texture.
- Start layering the beets, cubed feta cheese, pistachios and pumpkin seeds on top of the farro
- Finish it off with the remaining dressing and garnish with microgreens and fresh mint leaves.
When storing leftovers, you can toss the salad together into a container to let all of the flavors absorb.
I love a good nourishing salad and this farro beet salad always hits the spot. I can’t wait for you guys to try it. Be sure to tag me on Instagram if you do!