Chocolate date hearts are a fun & easy sweet treat to keep around. They’re perfect for Valentine’s day or for any occasion!
Chocolate Date Hearts
A couple of years ago I shared these heart shaped chocolate coated dates on Instagram for Valentine’s day and everybody absolutely loved them! They’re such a fun little treat to make for any occasion, and come together in 20 minutes.
Simply shape medjool dates into a heart shape, dip them into melted chocolate and sprinkle with freeze-fried berries and nuts. The medjool dates have a caramel-like texture and flavor, and truly taste like candy.
Medjool dates are a pantry staple of mine. They’re a great source of carbs, fiber and potassium, and an ideal snack whenever you need a long-lasting energy boost.
When paired with dark chocolate and nuts, they resemble caramel and taste just like a homemade candy bar.
What you’ll need to make chocolate date hearts
This recipe is super simple and requires minimal ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Medjool dates- medjool dates are larger and a lot softer than other dates, making them the ideal date for this recipe
- Chocolate chips- you can use dairy, dark chocolate, or semi-sweet
- Freeze-dried Strawberries– I crushed a few freeze-fried strawberries to add a pop of color and sweetness
- Chopped nuts- I added chopped sliced almonds, but sesame seeds or crushed peanuts would be delicious
- Split open the dates at the top and remove the pit and stem. Flatten them gently to form a heart shape
- Melt the chocolate with a little coconut oil to thin. Dip each date heart into the chocolate, coating it fully
- Place the dates on a parchment lined plate or tray and sprinkle with the freeze-dried berries and nuts. I love to add a little flakey salt!
- Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to harden and enjoy!
These chocolate date hearts are so cute and fun, they’re the perfect sweet fix to keep around! Make them for Valentine’s day, a dinner party, or as an easy dessert to snack on.