Upside down apple cake is a delicious sweet treat to bring to your next holiday gathering. It’s gluten-free and dairy-free, and filled with cinnamon apple flavor in every bite!
Gluten-free Upside Down Apple Cake
This recipe was inspired by my apple crumb cake I shared a couple of years ago. It’s made from a blend of almond flour and tapioca flour, and topped with a delicious layer of honey cinnamon glazed apples.
The cake comes out moist and perfectly sweet, and is the perfect dessert to serve at your next holiday gathering.
I sweetened the cake with a little coconut sugar, which gives it an almost caramel-like taste. It’s grain- free and dairy-free, but you wouldn’t even know!
How to make a lightened up apple cake
This cake is made in just a few simple steps.
- Start by cooking a peeled and sliced apple in a little butter, honey and cinnamon until it softens, then pour the mixture into to bottom of a cake pan
- Prepare the cake batter by whisking together all of your wet ingredients, then folding in the dry ingredients
- Pour the cake batter into the pan, over the glazed apples
- Bake the cake for about 35 minutes. Once it cools completely, flip it onto your serving dish
- Dust is off with powdered sugar, slice it and enjoy
The lightly sweetened cake truly melts in your mouth. It’s a delicious treat to make whether you’re gluten-free or not. You guys are going to love it!