Nothing screams fall like a warm apple crisp! It’s one of my favorite desserts to throw together because its delicious, and so easy to make. This gluten-free apple crisp has chunks of walnuts in the crumble, and goes perfectly with some vanilla ice cream.
I originally made this recipe last fall with spelt flour, but wanted to make it 100% gluten-free to accommodate those with sensitivities. You get a mix of warm, cinnamon baked apples topped with a walnut oat crumble- it truly doesn’t get better!
It’s one of those desserts that are perfect for a small gathering, or just a little something to keep in the fridge for that post-dinner sweet tooth.
I love prepping mine in a large pie dish, but making these into individual servings would be such a fun idea for a dinner party!
What you’ll need for this gluten-free apple crisp
- apples– my favorite kind are honeycrisp apples, but any variation of red apples work! I didn’t peel my apples, but you can if you want to!
- pure maple syrup to lightly sweeten the apples
- coconut oil as a dairy-free swap for butter
- lemon juice
- tapioca flour to help thicken the apple mixture
- rolled oats
- oat flour– store-bought is my go to but homemade can work! just blend your rolled oats in a blender until fine like flour
- coconut sugar
and a pinch of salt!
It’ll last all week in the fridge, and can be warmed in the oven or microwave for a few minutes when ready to enjoy!