Gluten-free lemon bars are the ultimate spring dessert to make this season! They have a delicious almond flour based shortbread crust, and a thick & creamy citrus filling. These healthy lemon bars are surprisingly SO easy to whip up, and perfect for you mid-day sweet fix!
Last week I asked my Instagram followers for some recipe inspiration and what they wanted to see more of on the blog. Lemon bars had to have been mentioned at least 10 times, so I thought it was the perfect time to test them!
The flavors in these bars are unmatched. They’re perfectly sweet & zesty, with the absolute best texture.
The shortbread crust is based off of my caramel candy bars. It’s truly one of the best gluten-free shortbread crusts, and pairs so well with these bars.
What you’ll need to make Lemon Bars
The gluten-free shortbread crust is made from 5 simple ingredients:
- almond flour
- cassava flour, which can be substituted with coconut flour
- coconut oil- I usually use refined oil for a neutral taste
- maple syrup
Creamy Lemon Filling
The lemon filling is made from:
- fresh lemon juice + zest
- pure maple syrup
- tapioca flour
The crust is first baked until slightly golden brown, then topped with the filling mixture and baked on a lower temperature until it just sets.
The hardest part is letting the bars chill before slicing, but trust me- its worth it!
Tips for how to perfect these healthy lemon bars
- Make sure your filling is mixed really well. I like to beat the eggs before adding any of the other ingredients in so make sure there are no egg whites showing. If they are, you may end up with white specks in your finished bars!
- Use freshly squeezed lemon- I don’t recommend using bottled lemon juice for these
- Don’t over bake the filling. While they still may taste delicious, the top of the bars may begin to crack.
- Let the bars completely cool before refrigerating. If you stick them in the fridge while they’re still warm, the top of the bars may crack.
If your bars do end up cracking on top, no worries! That layer of powdered sugar will cover it right up 🙂
I can’t wait for you guys to try these! Be sure to check out some other lemon recipes below 🙂