Walnut & butternut squash pasta is a nourishing fall pasta dish to make this season. It’s filled with cinnamon roasted butternut squash and crunchy walnuts for a delicious flavor combination.
Walnut & Butternut Squash Pasta
With harvest season in full swing, I’m always craving dishes that are rich with flavor, variety, and nourishing ingredients. This cozy pasta dish is filled with just that, including cinnamon roasted butternut squash, toasted walnuts, and all the warm spices.
It’s a favorite of mine to serve with baked salmon for added protein, and even makes for great leftovers during the week.
This walnut & butternut squash pasta is both comforting and nourishing, something I’m always looking for during the fall and winter months. It comes together so easily, while using ingredients that are in season.
You can easily make this gluten-free by using a GF pasta, and keep it plant-based by using vegan cheese.
Ingredients you’ll need to make walnut & butternut squash pasta
- Pasta of choice, I used rigatoni
- Butternut squash- you’ll need about 4 cups peeled & cubed butternut squash
- Kale- I love using lacinato kale
- Butter, dairy or vegan
- Grated parmesan, or nutritional yeast for a vegan option
- Spices: salt, pepper and pumpkin pie spice, or substitute a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger spice
- Olive oil
- Sage leaves
- Start by roasting the cubed butternut squash with a generous drizzle of olive oil, cinnamon and salt until tender
- While that bakes, prepare your pasta as instructed on the package. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water and drain the pasta
- Cook the shallots in the butter for a few minutes, then add in the chopped walnuts and spices
- Add in the pasta water, grated parmesan, kale and a light pinch of salt. Stir together for 1-2 minutes then mix in the pasta and roasted butternut squash
- Garnish with extra chopped walnuts, grated parmesan and sage
This nutrient-rich pasta is so full of flavor, and the ultimate cozy dish to make this season. I can’t wait for you guys to try it!