Plant-based butternut squash soup made with delicious roasted vegetables, creamy coconut milk and a few simple spices. Serve it with your favorite grilled cheese for the ultimate comfort meal!
Butternut Squash Soup
We’re officially in soup season and I’m excited to share this easy roasted butternut squash soup with you all. It’s full of fiber filled veggies like squash and carrots, and packed with warm spices like cinnamon and spicy cayenne.
This soup is made with creamy coconut milk, making it plant-based yet so delicious. I love serving it with sourdough grilled cheese for the ultimate fall comfort meal.
The soup is rich and creamy, with an added kick from cayenne pepper. It has a delicious sweetness from the coconut milk and veggies, and truly is the perfect nourishing comfort food to make this season.
What you’ll need to make butternut squash soup
- Butternut squash– I bought a 3 lb butternut squash that I peeled and cubed. If you’re using pre-cubed, you’ll need about 7 cups
- Carrots + yellow onion– for added fiber and flavor
- Coconut milk– I use full-fat for delicious, plant-based creaminess
- Vegetable broth– you’ll need about 3-3 1/2 cups, to reach your desired consistency
- Spices + herbs- salt, pepper, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and thyme
- Garnishes– coconut cream, olive oil and pumpkin seeds
This recipe comes together in just a few simple steps
- Roast the vegetables– season the butternut squash, onion and carrots olive oil, salt, pepper, cinnamon and thyme roast for about 40-45 minutes
- Blend the soup– Add the roasted vegetables to a blender or a pot if using an immersion blender, and blend together with the broth, coconut milk and spices
- Heat the soup– heat the soup over a low flame before serving
- Garnish and serve– garnish your bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, coconut cream, pumpkin seeds and cayenne pepper
How to blend the soup
Ideally, you can transfer the roasted vegetables to a pot with the remaining soup ingredients and blend everything together with an immersion blender. If you don’t own one, transfer everything to your standing blender to blend, then transfer the soup to a pot to heat it up.
This roasted butternut squash soup is nourishing, delicious and easy to make. I know you guys are going to love it!