Shawarma inspired spiced tofu wraps are a delicious plant-based meal packed with so many good flavors. Crispy tofu, creamy tahini, and fresh veggies all wrapped up in warm pita.
Shawarma Spiced Tofu Wraps
Traditional shawarma is made with thinly sliced cuts of meat like turkey, beef or chicken thats slowly roasted. I gave the traditional recipe a spin with these shawarma inspired tofu wraps, which are made with some of my favorite flavors.
The tofu is seasoned with a handful of warm, flavorful spices like smoked paprika, cinnamon, cayenne and allspice then baked until golden brown. It’s then assemble in a pita with all the fix-ins!
This recipe is the perfect vegetarian meal prep for the week. You can prepare all of the ingredients in advance, and assemble them throughout the week for a delicious lunch or dinner.
Wrap them in a pita, tortilla, or over a rice bowl to change up the flavors.
Crispy Baked Tofu
For this recipe, I crumbled the tofu into a bowl and tossed it with some olive oil, tapioca flour and a variety of spices to give it the perfect flavor. If you have a pre-bought shawarma spice around, you can easily use that in place of all of the spices.
The tofu comes our crisp and flavorful, and is the perfect plant-based protein to add to your meal rotation.
What you’ll need to make shawarma spiced tofu wraps
These wraps take a little bit of prep work, but they’re worth every minute. You can easily prepare most things ahead of time. Here’s what you need:
- pita or your favorite wrap
- extra-firm tofu
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- tapioca flour to help keep the tofu crispy
- homemade spice blend, or use your favorite store-bought shawarma spice
- veggies: chopped salad, pickled red onions, pickles
- sauce: homemade tahini sauce and amba (pickled mango sauce)
Preparing the tofu wraps
- Make the pickled red onions: the onions need at least 4 hours to marinate, so I suggest preparing these in advance to save some time
- Prepare the tofu: crumble the tofu into a bowl and toss it with olive oil, spices and tapioca flour. Bake for about 45 minutes until browned and crispy
- Prepare the add-ons: while the tofu bakes, chop up your salad, slice the pickles and prepare the homemade tahini sauce
- Assemble the wraps. Prepare the wraps with all of the toppings once all of the ingredients are ready
Whether you’re fully plant-based or just looking for more vegetarian recipes, these shawarma spiced tofu wraps are an absolute must make. I can’t wait for you guys to try them.
Loved this recipe! I added in finely diced mushrooms for some more texture to this 🙂
This was delicious! So flavorful! The only thing I’d do differently in the future is bake the tofu for less time (maybe 30 mins total?), as ours got *too* crispy and had the consistency of granola! I ate mine on a bed of arugula with all the fixings and hubs had his with pita–delicious both ways. Can’t wait to make this again and sad we don’t have leftovers!
(It should be noted: I think a ‘pack’ of tofu is about 16 oz.)
Hi Jennifer! I’m so glad you tried this recipe, and appreciate the feedback. I went ahead and adjusted the baking time range since the type of tofu varies and all ovens are different. Hopefully that helps!