Mug cakes have been my JAM these last few months, like this Birthday Cake mug cake or Vegan S’mores one. I love them because they take 5 minutes to whip up, but also because you don’t need to share your dessert- its a win win. My latest obsession is this chocolate chip banana mug cake recipe.
It’s basically a single-serve banana bread, and I can’t get enough! It has the softest texture, with chunks of walnuts and chocolate chips in every bite. It can even be doubled for you and a friend!
This chocolate chip banana mug cake will curb every sweet craving you have! You can prep it in the morning to start your day off with something sweet, or after dinner for the ultimate dessert. Serve it with vanilla ice cream if you’re feeling badass.
It’s made with some of my favorite baking staples like almond flour, spelt flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips– most of which can be found on my shop page if you’re running low!
Some common substitutions if you don’t have what the recipe calls for:
- oat flour or all-purpose flour can be substituted for the spelt flour. I haven’t tested a substitute for almond flour, but you may be able to use all oat or all regular!
- any other neutral tasting oil would work in place of coconut, like vegetable or avocado
- any liquid sweetener would work in place of maple
A few things to keep in mind before prepping your chocolate chip banana mug cake
- All microwaves are different. Mine took a minute, and then an additional 30 seconds to cook through. Check yours after a minute, and then add 30 second intervals after that! It should be firm to the touch.
- You can omit the liquid sweetener if you wanted to cut down on the sugar! If your banana is spotty, it’ll likely be sweet enough- especially if you use chocolate chips.
- Make sure your ramekins or mugs are microwave safe, or oven safe if you’re baking!
If you’re a banana bread lover like me, you’re going to LOVE this simple recipe! Be sure to check out some of my other banana recipes from the blog, like this gluten-free Walnut Chip Banana Bread, or Almond Butter Banana Muffins.