These caramelized banana overnight oats are a delicious make-ahead breakfast made with creamy layers of oatmeal and topped with sweet cinnamon cooked bananas.
Caramelized Banana Overnight Oats
Having these overnight oats prepared the night before is a game changer for productive mornings. They can be made up to 4 days in advance, and are so creamy and satisfying.
The bananas add a delicious sweet cinnamon flavor, while the oat base provides fiber, whole-grains, and even protein.
How to make overnight oats
The basic formula for overnight oats is:
- rolled oats– if you’re sensitive to gluten, be sure to opt for certified gluten-free oats
- milk– I love using a plant-based milk like unsweetened almond milk
- chia seeds– chia seeds help thicken the oat mixture, making it nice and creamy. They’re also a good source of omega-3 fats and contribute a little bit of protein!
- maple syrup or honey as an optional sweetener
- flavorings– like vanilla extract, cinnamon, and fruit
Combine all of the ingredients together, and let it chill in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours, or preferably overnight! I love topping mine with a serving of yogurt for an added boost of protein.
Preparing your oats ahead of time
This oat mixture will stay fresh in your fridge for 3-4 days, so you can double the batch and add in your caramelized banana when you’re ready to enjoy it!
One of the best parts about this recipe is that once you create the base of oatmeal, you can flavor it in different ways, and you’ll have a simple, balanced breakfast ready for you in the morning.
These caramelized banana overnight oats are easy to make, so delicious, and are the perfect well-balanced breakfast.