Freezer-friendly black bean burritos are a perfect meal prep, and a delicious way to clean out your fridge! They’re filled with fiber & protein, and can be made vegan if desired. Serve them with your favorite burrito sides, and enjoy them during busy mornings.
Black Bean Burritos
Before grocery shopping every week, I’ve made it a point to look through my fridge and try to empty it out before restocking it. Last week, I had some random veggies lying around, an opened can of black beans, and some wraps from the week prior.
With a few simple spices, these black bean and veggie burritos came to life. They’re slightly spicy, so flavorful, and can honestly be made with any veggie you desire!
Swap out the cheese for your favorite vegan substitute, and use gluten-free wraps if needed to cater to your dietary preferences.
These burritos come together in 30 minutes or less, and can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or even dinner. Freeze them for up to two months, and reheat them in the oven, over a pan or in the microwave.
Serve them with salsa, avocado and a little sour cream for a delicious flavor combination.
Preparing your black bean burritos
To make these burritos, you’ll need large burrito sized wraps, your choice of veggies, black beans, a spice mix, and any cheese you like.
- Cook your veggies in olive oil until tender, I used red bell pepper, onion and zucchini
- Add in the black beans and spices, and let the mixture cook for an addition 5-7 minutes
- Assemble your burrito by layering the center of your wrap with shredded cheese and the bean mixture
- Fold & freeze!
I like to grill the burritos on a pan before freezing them to crisp them up slightly.
Storing your breakfast burritos
Wrap each burrito individually in parchment paper or tin foil, and place them in a reusable storage bag. You want to be sure to place them at the top of the freezer or in the door, so that they don’t get smashed inside in the freezer. You can also store these in a freezer-safe container.
Reheating your burritos
There are two options to reheating your burritos-
- MICROWAVE INSTRUCTIONS: remove your burrito from the freezer and unwrap it. Place it on a microwave safe plate, and warm for 1 minute. Flip over and warm for additional minute. You can also choose the “defrost” setting for 2 minutes. If you plan on microwaving, I recommend grilling each burrito on a pan prior to freezing, or after it’s been defrosted.
- OVEN INSTRUCTIONS: remove your burrito from the freezer and place on a sheet pan over the parchment or tinfoil it was wrapped in. Bake on 350 F for 20-25 minutes, flipping half way through. I like to use my mini oven for this step since it heats up quickly.
To save time in the oven, you can defrost the burrito in the fridge overnight and cut down baking time to 10-15 minutes!
These nutrient-dense burritos are the perfect breakfast to meal prep for the week. Customize them to your liking, and enjoy them with your favorite dips!
Love this recipe! Tastes great, super healthy, and I can meal prep it for the week. I doubled the recipe to make 8
I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Kayla!
These were great for lunch, I didnt have any capsicum so added a tablespoon of tomato paste for colour. I spread avocado on the wrap, added leftover shredded chicken for my hubby and son, and tabasco sauce. So good and so easy!
I’m so happy to hear that!!
I loved this! I added some brown rice I had in the fridge and made “bowls” for my lunch for the week!
I forgot to pin it before I made it, and I’ve been searching all week for it😂
I will definitely be making this again
It was suppose to be 5 stars not 1🤦♀️
Thank you, Kim! I’m so glad you tried them 🙂
Wow this was the perfect recipe for lunch when I didn’t know what to have!!! So quick, easy, used everything I already had in the fridge, and was DELICIOUS…can’t wait to eat again soon
Thank you, Hannah! I’m so glad you enjoyed them 🙂
Gal! These are absolutely perfect! I saw you post these and I decided to meal prep them as per your suggestion. They’re flavorful, simple and easy to make. My husband loved them too! He didn’t miss the meat. I forwarded this over to the rest of the family. I will definitely be making more of these in the future.
I’m so happy you tried them, Manpreet!