Crispy baked black bean and kale tacos are packed with veggies and plant-based protein. They’re a delicious meatless Monday meal to make any day of the week!
Black Bean and Kale Tacos
These baked black bean tacos are such a nourishing weeknight meal. They’re loaded with fiber, plant-based protein and so much flavor, and are a delicious way to eat more veggies.
The beans get cooked with the veggies and spices, stuffed into tortillas with shredded cheese, then baked until crisp.
A couple of years ago I shared my baked lentil tacos that have been a favorite ever since, and this black bean version is a new staple in our house.
My pantry is always well stocked with canned beans since they’re an easy and convenient protein to keep around, and can be seasoned and flavored in so many ways. This recipe comes together easily, and is a cost-friendly meal idea if you’re looking for new ways to eat beans.
What you’ll need for these black bean tacos
- Choose your favorite tortillas– I used an almond flour based one, but you can use flour or corn tortillas
- Canned black beans– this recipe would also work well with cooked lentils
- Chopped veggies– I used peppers, onion and kale for added veggies and micronutrients
- A spice blend made of paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and salt & pepper. To save some time, you can use your favorite taco seasoning blend in place of all of the spices
- Tomato paste and water to create a thicker sauce
- Shredded cheese– I love using mozzarella or cheddar in this recipe
- Olive oil
- Your choice of toppings: jalapeno, cilantro, hot sauce, pickled onions and greek yogurt are my go-to!
- Start by sauteeing the veggies until they’re soft, then adding in the beans, kale and spices
- Cook the bean mixture with the tomato paste and water to form the flavorful filling
- Next, assemble the tacos by spreading the bean mixture onto half of the tortilla with shredded cheese, and folding it over
- Lastly, bake the tacos for 15-20 minutes until crisp
These tacos are easy to make, packed with flavor, and the perfect healthy dinner to make this week. You can tag me on Instagram if you try them!
Really enjoyed this recipe with the family, making it agin for friends to try! Great to make ahead and enjoy company without fusing in the kitchen 🙂
Hi Gal, i made these for the fam tonight. Slightly modified using spinach and green capsicum instead. Really tasty! We served with greek yoghurt, pickled jalapenos & salasa, definitely becoming a monthly staple.