These delicious baked orange cauliflower “chicken” bites may just be my favorite cauliflower recipe yet! Cauliflower thats baked and battered in a simple gluten-free coating, and tossed in a sweet citrus glaze, with a subtle kick of spice.
They’re sure to be a winner with the whole family!
My husband and I love to buy the “chickenless orange bites” from the Trader Joe’s freezer section. I always keep a bag around for a quick dinner, and serve it over brown rice with veggies.
This sweet orange sauce is so similar to the store-bought one, but has much less sugar, and is gluten-free friendly! I sweetened mine with honey, but you can sub agave to make it vegan! It has the perfect kick of ginger, and a sweet citrus flavor.
Your can pair it with your cauliflower, tofu, or even chicken! This sauce is definitely going to be on repeat around here.
These bites have the perfect soft center, and are coated with a simple gluten-free batter. They come together in just 5 easy steps!
How to make baked orange cauliflower
- Prep you batter– whisk together a 1:1 gluten-free flour with non-dairy milk and some spices to form the batter
- Coat the cauliflower: toss your florets into the batter to evenly coat them
- Bake the cauliflower: place your cauliflower on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and bake them in the while you prep your sauce
- Make the sauce: cook the sauce ingredients in a skillet, and let it simmer while your cauliflower cooks
- Mix the cauliflower into the sauce: remove the baked cauliflower from the oven, and cook it in with the sauce for a few minutes until they’re evenly coated
Serve your orange cauliflower over brown rice with your favorite protein + side of veggies! I love to top mine with red pepper flakes and scallions for added flavor.
Can I prep the baked cauliflower and sauce ahead of time?
If you wanted to save time during dinner prep, I suggest coating and baking the cauliflower in advance, prepping the sauce separately, and combining them only right before you plan to serve them.
Other ways to use this Orange Sauce
The good thing about making healthier sauces from scratch is that you can use them on pretty much anything!
- Swap the cauliflower for chicken to make healthier orange chicken
- Use it as a marinade for salmon and serve it over brown rice with veggies
- Serve it over baked tofu and swap the honey for maple syrup for a protein-packed vegan meal!
You guys are going to love this recipe! I can’t wait to hear what you think. Be sure to leave a rating and review if you tried it, they’re so appreciated!