If I had to choose one dinner to eat all week, it would hands down be fish tacos. Ok- maybe anything in a taco? But for real- these healthy fish tacos are the real deal, and come together in only 30 minutes!
Since living in San Diego this past year, we’ve had our fair share of fish tacos. While I do enjoy a good, crispy beer-battered taco, I like to lighten things up during the week. That’s why these grilled tacos are the perfect weeknight meal! There light, flavorful, and really easy to whip up.
A taco is as good as its toppings, so let’s chat about what some of my favorite fish taco add-ons are:
- grilled fish- I love using cod or mahi mahi for these, but any fish works great!
- cabbage slaw- not the traditional mayo filled one, but a fresh, lemony slaw to balance out the spice in the fish
- avocado- always a staple in my fish tacos!
- other veggies: lettuce, tomatoes, onions
- hot sauce or spicy mayo! I topped these with my favorite 2-ingredient sriracha mayo, but you can use any hot sauce you like!
Another reason I love tacos for dinner is because they’re super customizable. If you have a family of pick-eaters, set up a taco bar and have everyone choose from a variety of toppings.
Heating your tortillas on the stove-top is the key to these healthy fish tacos. They crisp up slightly, but still stay soft in the center. I try to opt for whole wheat tortillas to pack in some extra fiber. Soft shell tortillas are a staple in our house for taco nights or quesadillas.
If you’re not into tortillas, you can also serve this as a fish taco salad!