These delicious healthy blueberry crumble muffins are lightly sweet and a perfect sweet fix to pair with your morning coffee. They seriously taste like they’re from a bakery, with half the amount of sugar but all of the amazing flavors.
I used to be OBSESSED with the Dunkin’ Donuts blueberry muffins. You know- the ones that were topped with a whole tablespoon of sugar. I think I may have gotten them every day throughout high school, and recently had them over the summer.
I knew I had to recreate them, but with a lighter spin.
These healthy blueberry muffins are:
- simple to make
- deliciously satisfying
- made with nourishing ingredients
- lower in sugar
- bursting with blueberries
I originally shared this recipe to my Instagram feed a little over a year ago. My original recipe called for bananas, so I retested it with applesauce instead to make these authentic blueberry muffins.
A lightly sweetened, slightly zesty, fluffy blueberry crumble muffin.
What you’ll need for these blueberry crumble muffins
- Spelt flour– I love using spelt flour in my baking because of its mild, nutty flavor. It provides nutrients like iron, magnesium and zinc, and even a little fiber and protein. It can typically be used as an equal substitute for regular flour!
- Unsweetened applesauce– I’ve been incorporating more applesauce into my baked goods recently because of the texture it provides. Applesauce can help add moisture to a recipe, and replace some of the oil
- Olive oil
- Pure maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest
- Baking soda
- Oat flour, coconut or brown sugar, and coconut oil for the crumb topping
I love to pop these in the mini toaster for a couple of minutes, and top them with vegan butter. Since they’re not overly sweet, they’re perfect in the morning when you aren’t hungry for a big breakfast just yet.
I know you guys are going to love this recipe, and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts! Let me know if you try them by leaving a comment below!
Delicious! I subbed Bob’s 1:1 GF flour and it worked perfectly.
Thank you, Haleigh!
Just made three batches to bring to my daughter for her to hand out to her basketball team after their game. SUCH a great recipe!!
I’m so happy to hear that!!
On second rounds making these. They taste unreal! Such a perfect breakfast muffin.
So happy to hear that!
Hi, i was wondering if i could substitute the flour for any other one?
I think an all-purpose flour would work, or a 1:1 gluten-free baking flour blend!
Would frozen blueberries work?
Yes, I think that should work! I would rinse and pat them dry, then toss them in a little extra flour to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
Would they be just as good without the crumb topping? 🙂
Yes, definitely! I just realized I responded to your comment previously thinking this was about a different recipe, so apologies if that confused you 🙂